Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone out there is doing any work with their Ace along with having fun? I'm talking about "run of the mill" chores like plowing snow, blowing snow, hauling loads, spraying, fertilizing, maybe even brush hogging an acre or three with a trailer mower. I have used a regular 4x4 quad before to do snow removal, hauling and such but it has a different trans (gear with auto clutch) would the transmission setup in the Ace hold up to this type of use? The current quad is an air cooled model and doesn't seem to like slow speed and summer temps, will the liquid cooled Ace stay cool running slow speeds in the summer?

I test drove one of these neat machines as I like the seating, steering wheel, controls over a regular quad, it seemed to have a better turn radius than the current machine and gear/direction changes are much simpler/faster than the auto clutch 5 speed with reverse. I'm thinking this might be a decent work/play multi-purpose machine or am I missing something? Any and all opinions are welcome, although I have used quads I'm no expert with application of the machines, a tractor may be better purposed at tasks but one surely isn't going to go out and have fun with once chores are done.

·
Registered
218 Posts
it can work just as well as my sportsman 500 could ...............
this winter we test the snow moving capabilitys on both the 570 and the 325 Aces.

·
Registered
420 Posts
low range is your friend. I use mine to pull a small trailer around the property and other chores, works great for all of that. No issues with overheating either.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Here's my opinion: I really WANT to do chores with the ACE but my gut tells me I'm going to mess it up. In my opinion, it's not designed for work. So I get out the Kubota tractor (Much better steering radius, pulling power, etc, etc, etc. I know what someone's thinking (well that tractor is too expensive, blah, blah, blah) I choose to cut back in other ways like driving an old truck and doing all my house and auto repairs myself.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm sure many of the folks posting on the forum have the means to purchase a tractor (I have 5, 2 being compact tractors) and yes either of those will out drag any atv/utv that I know of, even my jeeps (I have 2 jeeps also) would out pull/push atv/utvs for that matter, my garden tractor sized machines probably would not being they are similar in weight to the Ace but the Ace has AWD. But I have all this "stuff" to do a few chores and I spend coin/time keeping everything in working condition and some of it sits around for weeks/months at a time. I was looking for opinions on the ability of the Ace to hold up to a bit of work even if it isn't the "perfect fit" would the machine design hold up to these light chores and I would part with a few machines shifting those tasks to the Ace,, just a thought.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I would absolutely use the Ace for any of the lighter duty chores. I personally would not pull a disc or blade(I would use a front blade for snow only) or anything like that with an atv even though they make those tools in 'atv size'. For the tasks you listed I would have no issue using the Ace.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I thought about this thread last night, and I came up with the limitation I would impose. If I could do it by hand, I would be confident using the Ace. If I COULD drag that log or stump by hand, I would use the Ace. If I COULD move that cart or trailer by hand, I would use the Ace.

I will not be yanking stumps out of the ground, grading roads or moving my RV around with it. It just seems to light-duty for heavy or sustained work use.

Matt B

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well its official I now own an Ace and I will be putting it to a few of the above tasks before picking up the 2nd one. If things "fit" the 2nd machine will be outfitted a bit more to the work side of things.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts